This article will help you configure proxy settings for Windows 11 all by yourself. Even if it is the first time when you configure proxy, you will do it in no time with these guidelines.
But let's introduce some basic concepts we need when dealing with the proxy server in Windows before moving to proxy server configuration.
A proxy port and everything you should know about it
Let's look at this proxy — 22.214.171.124:30001. As you can see, it consists of two parts divided by a colon. The first part is the proxy IP address (126.96.36.199), and it is followed by the port number (30001).
Your device gets a new IP address assigned by the proxy server. From now on, this proxy IP address is associated with any of your web requests and actions.
So what about the purpose of the port? It helps connect devices and perform actions (download a file, send a letter, etc.). The IP is like a route you need to go through, while the port is your destination; it defines the goal of the route.
If the port is absent, you will not be able to access the information or visit a particular site. The port connects your device with the desired resource.
Proxy types and their purposes
Proxy protocols (types) make your PC anonymous for the server. Let's introduce those we work with and how to use them.
HTTP — the most widespread but outdated type. It is usually used to work with sites in browsers. It allows hiding your presence on the site. Moreover, it will help promptly display the site in the search box on repeated web requests. Unfortunately, it can only interact with unprotected resources that use the same protocol.
HTTPS proxy — the same as HTTP. However, it has a significant difference: this protocol supports protected SSL connections. It allows you to transfer secret information (logins, passwords, credit card details) and not to worry about its security. Servers transfer encrypted data but do not participate in processing it.
SOCKS is considered the most efficient and progressive type. It is completely anonymous and does not transfer information about your IP address. It is hard to detect its usage. Typically, sites mistake SOCKS for a real device.
Proxy server installation
It's time to start the proxy server installation and configuration on Windows 11.1. First, right-click on the dashboard Start button to open the context menu and select Settings
2. The pop-up window will appear: select Network & Internet and then Proxy
3. Manual configuration is preferred if it is the first time you add the proxy server
4. Click the proxy server toggle switch next to the Use a proxy server button in the manual proxy configuration section. You will see a form where the proxy server data should be entered. Add the IP address and port number (these proxy server data are available in the personal account, and can be copied from there). Click Save
5. Well done! You finished the proxy server configuration. Proxy server settings can be altered at any moment.
Pay attention: you can select resources that will not use the proxy server. There is a line under the IP address and proxy port data fields: add web addresses that don't require the use of the proxy server there. In the case of two or more addresses, put a semicolon (;) between them.
Checking of proxy server settings
My IP tool is useful to check the proxy settings in Windows 11 — it is available on our site free of charge.
After you've got the proxy installed on your PC with Windows 11, click the link. If it matches the one you bought, the proxy configuration is correct. If not, that means there might be some issues. Please check the proxy settings.
Should you have any questions concerning the proxy settings, do not hesitate to contact our technical support team: they will help you find and fix proxy server errors. The chat on our site is the best way to get a quick response.
Using the Proxy checker on our site to check the proxy server performance both before you connect to the proxy server and after that.
Enter the proxy server data into the form on the left part of the linked page. You will find a hint on how to enter the proxy server data correctly on the right.
You can find the required proxy server data in your personal account's My proxies section.
You will see the results of the proxy server data check on the page. A green checkmark on the left will mean the proxy is working.
Disabling proxy server
1. The procedure is similar to a proxy server connection. Click the Start button, select Settings → Network & Internet → Proxy server → Manual proxy setup
2. Click the proxy server toggle switch to disable it and click Save
3. Well done! The proxy server is disabled
4. Now the proxy server can be enabled again with one click: the last entered data will remain in the proxy settings.